Our Mission is to:
SUPPORT other mothers in realizing their breastfeeding goals through information and nonjudgmental encouragement.
PROMOTE the value of breastfeeding community-wide through education and strategic partnerships.
PROTECT a mother’s commitment to breastfeeding for as long as she and her child mutually desire.
The first pillar of our mission is Support every mother in realizing her breastfeeding goals through information and nonjudgmental encouragement.
- Free peer counselor phone support
- Free prenatal breastfeeding classes, including teen parent classes and lectures at local schools
- Grant hospital grade breast pumps for low-income families
- Grant Lactation Services Program for low-income families in need of medical and/or technical breastfeeding support
The second pillar of our mission is to Promote the value of breastfeeding through community-wide education and strategic partnerships.
- Newsletters, brochures and E-Blasts
- Semi-annual volunteer peer-counselor training (each October and April)
- Quarterly education meetings
- Health Fair and Outreach Events
- Annual Breastfeeding Celebration Benefit Events
The final pillar of our mission is to Protect a mother’s right to breastfeed for as long as she and her child mutually desire.
As a founding member of the Breastfeeding Coalition of Oregon, Nursing Mothers Counsel of Oregon was instrumental in passing Oregon’s landmark law Rest Breaks for Breast Milk Expression (Oregon, 2007) and the amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), as part of the 2010 Patient Protection Act and Affordable Care Act (H.R.3590 SEC. 4207), signed into law by President Obama, imposes a national mandate requiring all employers subject to the FLSA to provide rest breaks and a private space to mothers who wish to express breast milk at work. These laws provide essential workplace protections for mothers who choose to continue breastfeeding after returning to work.